7 Tesla Human MRI
Ultra high-field MRI offers exciting new possibilities to image the structure, function and biochemistry of the human brain in far greater detail than has previously been possible.
7 Tesla MRI is up to five times more sensitive to brain activation measured by fMRI. In addition to developing novel fMRI acquisition techniques, researchers are investigating ways to minimise the detrimental effects of subject movement, breathing and physiology.
The scanner is capable of producing exquisite images of brain structure. Susceptibility-weighted images (SWI) are highly sensitive to iron and myelin iron content of brain tissue. The high-performance gradients on this scanner are also ideal for improving the contrast and spatial resolution of diffusion images.
Another benefit of 7 Tesla is the ability to measure changes in the neurotransmitter GABA using Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
Our Siemens scanner is equipped with parallel transmit hardware and dynamic shimming capabilities, and researchers in the WIN Physics Group are actively developing methods to utilise this hardware to improve image quality, quantitation and acquisition speed.
Contact the Radiography Team for anything to do with the 7 Tesla MRI Scanner
See also the Ethics and Data pages or contact the WIN Admin Team
User Guides and Documents
- MRI Scanning Guide (extensive) and Session Guide (brief)
- Project Code Request Form
- WIN Top-up Form
- Magnet Safety Training
- MRI Stimulus Presentation
- Equipment taken into scanner room (Equipment Protocols)
- 7T Volunteer Screening Form (Large Print Version)
- 7T Surgery and Implant Safe List
- Scanning Service Agreement
- Accessing Medical Notes for Clinical Studies
- Minimum Attendance Policy (FMRIB scanners)
- Magnet Emergency Procedures (FMRIB 7T)
- Subject Evacuation Procedure (FMRIB 7T)