LGBTI+ Working Group
The LGBTI+ Working Group is made up of WIN staff and students who are motivated by a shared goal of improving our centre for members of the LGBTI+ community. We aim to increase awareness of issues facing LGBTI+ professionals in academia, improve support from allies, and promote visibility of role models. In 2019-20, we developed a strategic vision and implemented a series initiatives aligned to these aims, highlighted below.
Aim 1: Increase Awareness
- Developed an online toolkit collating resources relevant to LGBTI+ in the workplace. Key sections include: Terms & Definitions, LGBTI+ in the UK, LGBTI+ in Science, and Leadership & Role Models.
- Hosted seminars from thought leaders in the LGBTI+ STEM community including: Dr. Clara Barker (Oxford), Dr. Lilly Hunt (EDIS) and Lenna Cumberbatch (St. Andrews).
- Organised participation in LGBTI+ events including UK Pride March 2019 (with Wellcome Trust) and LGBTQ+ STEMinar 2020 (hosted by the University of Oxford).
Aim 2: Form a Supportive Community
- Worked with Inclusive Employers to develop bespoke Centre-wide training covering the basics of inclusivity (for all members) and how to become an inclusive leader (for line-managers and PIs).
- Formed and supported the WIN Pride Member Network, which hosts informal gatherings for LGBTI+ members and allies and WIN-wide discussions (e.g. WINspiration Fridays).
- Promoted allyship within WIN and encouraged members to attend ally training, with eight members trained as allies during our year of strategic focus.
Aim 3: Promote Visibility
- Together with Wellcome, we re-designed the WIN logo to raise awareness during LGBT+ Pride Month. Rainbow logos have since been adopted by all Wellcome Centres.
- Regularly contribute LGBTI+-related content for a range of communications channels including WIN twitter and newsletters.
If you have suggestions or would like to get involved, please email our LGBTI+ Champions: Andy Segerdahl or Maz Aspbury.
WIN members can find out more on our intranet.