Wellness & Mental Health Working Group
The Thrive working group is developing and implementing a strategic plan to promote workplace wellbeing and mental health at WIN. In 2020-21, we are developing a strategic vision and implementing a series of initiatives aligned to these aims, described below.
What we have done
In the first half of the 2020-21 academic year, Thrive has:
- Organised a WIN Wednesday seminar and discussion on home working and coping with isolation during the first pandemic lockdown
- Hosted a WIN-wide discussion on mental wellbeing and how we can promote healthy workplace practices. Through breakouts, we identified key challenges facing our members.
- Led an online session for principal investigators: "Looking after your team: Getting comfortable talking about mental health in the workplace".
- Run a fortnightly series of sessions aimed at promoting the Five Ways of Wellbeing, an evidence-based wellbeing framework used by the UK's National Health Service.
What we are planning to do
Thrive has designated the following priority projects for 2020-21:
- Promote lab handbooks as good practice for research groups, including provision of a template handbook, with emphasis on providing resources and guidance about mental health and wellbeing.
- Organise training sessions for general mental wellbeing, and workplace wellbeing best practices for managers and PIs.
- Collate digital resources to help signpost existing university resources and policies relating to mental health and wellbeing.
WIN members can find out more on our intranet.
Thrive Group Members: